When shock hits...


It was 2004 and I was 27 years old when my "woman" surgeries started. I'd had problems long before then, but thought that this was just part of "the curse", and our penance to bear. Imagine the surprise when I was diagnosed with endometreosis along with a couple of other terms I have no idea how to spell, but it boils down to period problems. I had a laporoscopy, hyteroscopy, and a D&C. It helped for about 6 months, but then the pains came back. My doctor warned me that this might happened and that the next step would be a hysterectomy. Well, that's just unacceptable. I'm 27, there's NO way you are taking away that which makes me a woman. Not to mention all the horror stories I've heard about what women go through afterward. My mom had had one when she was my age, and when she forgot to take her "witch pill" (our nickname for hormones) WATCH OUT!!!


I was also raised in a strong catholic family, and having kids is just what you do. I myself am one of 8 girls. I only had 2--a boy and a girl. I of course got a second opinion, but to my shock, I was going to lose my cervix and uterus. I had ended up in the hospital for excessive bleeding, and the endo. was back in full force. So, I tried to see the good in it...NO MORE PERIODS--NO MORE PAIN--GOOD SEX that doesn't make me cringe in pain. Sometimes this worked, but for the most part, I was just plain depressed.


Then I found a website that was amazing. There were women that was actually going through the same thing I was!!! Hystersisters.com was a life saver!! Any question I came up with was answered. I wasn't alone, and with the jerk of a doctor I had, that was a good thing. My doctor was from the old school. See the patient, give them the bad news, then move on to the next. Any questions I had were not warranted. He just said don't worry. Thankfully, his nurse was AMAZING and answered every one of my questions. Now one question I had was what happens if my ovaries shut down after the surgery. It had happened to a friend of mine, and I was very concerned. I have epilepsy, so lack of hormones is not a good thing, plus I was already not a nice person because of my hormones being out of whack. I couldn't imagine what I'd be like with none at all. I'd actually almost broke my husband's nose!!! He made me so mad, and I'd just taken a self-defense class. Ladies, if your hormones are crazy, I don't recommend taking that class!!! Please wait until you are normal again.


Anyway, the doctor told me not to worry, that won't happen to me. Have I mentioned my doctor is old school, and I did NOT like him? But he was already invested in my case, so...Well, I had my hysterectomy, and guess what-the ovaries shut down. I was crying all the time, suicide wasn't far from my thoughts I didn't know what was going on. I go to the doctor and he tells me the one thing that he said wouldn't happened, but this time he tells me it's common!! What a jerk!!! Well, I get put on some "happy pills" and hormone therapy and I'm good to go for a couple of years. Except that I was having some MAJOR pain on my left side. My wonderful doctor told me it was gas and puts me on gas meds.


In June of '07 exactly 2 years from the time I had my hysterectomy, I ended up in the ER. My family and I were planning on having a "family day" and going to the movies. I'd woken up that morning with horrific pain, but I took one of my gas pills and the pain went from about a 9 to a 7. I really wanted to go to the movies! While at the movies the pain just got worse and I told my husband that I think I needed to go to the hospital. We thought it was my appendix. The ER doctor runs the tests thinking the same thing. About 6 hours later we find out that I have a 6 inch cyst on my left ovary and it's wrapped around my colon. SHOCK!!! Surely he meant to say 6 cm, but no INCHES. They thought cancer immediately AND colostomy bag. Yea me! (As Christina knows, I have a very sarcastic sense of humor!)


First, my jerk of a doctor takes my uterus and treats me for gas, now I find out that I'm going to not only lose at least one ovary, but end up crapping in a bag as well. I had gone to him several times for pain and each time it was gas. Well, when the ER doctor told me they needed to contact my gynecologist immediately, I told him find me another one. After telling him my story, he completely agreed. He told me about a doctor who was very good and would treat me well. He would call him for me. Now keep in mind it's about midnight at this point and this gynecologist is NOT on call. After my experience with doctors, I just knew he wasn't going to show up until 8:00 the next morning. This man comes to my bedside at one o'clock in the morning and examines me, then sits there like he's got all the time in the world and explains what's going on and what needs to be done. I have NEVER been more at ease before a surgery in my life!!If it turns out that I have cancer, I knew that I was in good hands. I'd JUST met this man!! I was in surgery for about 6 hours, and when I came to, my first question was do I still have my right ovary, and do I have a bag?


Thankfully, the answers were yes and no. I had two AWESOME surgeons working on me!! A little while later after I'm just a little bit more coherent, my doctor tells me I do NOT have cancer!!! I felt so blessed!!! I'd put my family through so much already, the LAST thing they needed was this. I'd seen a little bit of what Christina had been through, heard some stories, and that woman is my hero! I know I couldn't have handled HALF of what she has been through. Christina, let me just say that you are a strong, beautiful woman, and I fill privileged to be a part of this and a part of your life.


It's been a year and a half since losing my ovary and thankful I've only had one scare since then. While at work, I had a cyst rupture on my right ovary, but thankfully no continued complications. I do still have some pain on my left side, and I go after Easter to have a colonoscopy to see what's going on. Thankfully, my ONE ovary is working just fine. Please keep me in your prayers that everything comes out OK, no pun intended :). I will continue to pray for each and every one of you...your stories have helped me so much, and knowing that I'm not alone in this world, well I'm sure you understand!!


God Bless you all and good luck in everything you do!


---Jennifer


Comments

  1. no words jennifer.just,take care,in my thoughts,mort x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh having a good doctor is very important. I also found great support on hystersisters - its an amazing website - when I had my hyst. Anyway, hang in there. Life throws us curves, but we just need to duck out of the way - or throw them back!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Christina and Jennifer, you guys are real troopers. I want to thank you for allowing me a look at what you go thru, and draw strength from your stories.

    Be well!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please leave your comments and share your thoughts.

Popular posts from this blog

Life Lesson #157 ~ Daughters of the King

Life Lesson #200 ~ Jealousy

Life Lesson #480 ~ Small But Mighty