Victoria's Story....

My story begins November 2006, when after being the victim in an armed robbery, I had what was described as a nervous breakdown where I lost a lot of weight, it was this weight loss that led me to discover a small lump in my right breast.after a few weeks of trying to ignore it, I visited my doctor who referred me to the local hospital where I was diagnosed with a 2cm grade 3 with 1 lymph node involved.

I don't think any words or actions can prepare you for that word "cancer", cancer happens to other people, I just went into complete shock, I think I have never really accepted the fact that I was seriously ill, even to this day, the hardest part for me was trying to explain to my children, my son who was 5 at the time never really understood the situation, which in a way was good, but my daughter who was 14 knew exactly what it meant, and knew what cancer could do having watched my friend die previously of the dreaded beast.


In February 2007 I had a lumpectomy with lymph node clearance followed by 6 chemotherapy sessions and 15 radiotherapy sessions, it was tough, but I managed to keep things as normal as possible throughout my treatment, I continued to go to work and kept things at home on an even keel, I made the most of "good days" when the chemo effects were wearing off, we had family days out, and most important we had fun.


My cancer was hormone receptive, which means I am taking tamoxifen for 5 years and I have a monthly zoladex implant which stops my ovaries working, the plus side being I do not get periods anymore, but the downside being I get horrible menopausal symptoms such as hot flushes and restless legs which drive me nuts!it is a small price to pay though, I am still here I am still alive, and fingers crossed I will still be here for a long time yet.


I don't see cancer as my enemy anymore, I see the positive in my experience with the evil beast, I have come out of my fight stronger, I take nothing for granted now, and I try to fit in as much as possible, I don't want to miss a thing in life, cancer has introduced me to the nicest people I have ever come across, and for that I am thankful.


My advice to anyone going through this awful illness is to never give up, even when the odds are stacked against you, fight, fight with all you have in you as you are a heck of a long time dead .


x...


Comments

  1. I hate tosay it, but the armed robbery probably was the best thing....without it you might not have found the lump. God Bless You & Your Family!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too hope you continue your journey into the future..healthy..like you said live for the day..embrace all you have and thank God that he has given you a second chance in life..I love your attitude on not looking back... but to move forward and to use this as a positive thing and to not let cancer take over your life. I wish you the best in whatever comes your way..stay strong..
    Kelly~

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please leave your comments and share your thoughts.

Popular posts from this blog

Life Lesson #157 ~ Daughters of the King

Life Lesson #200 ~ Jealousy

Life Lesson #480 ~ Small But Mighty