Wake Up and Smell the Roses, Chistina!!!

"When I was a child, ladies and gentleman, I was a dreamer. I read comic books, and I was the hero in the movie. So every dream I ever dreamed has come true a hundred times...I learned very early in life that: "Without a song, the day would never end; without a song, a man ain't got a friend; without a song, the road would never bend -- without a song." So I keep singing my song."”--- Elvis Presley




Life is full of unexpected surprises. Some good and some rotten. Wrapped up any way you want , life is a gift. Each and every day we are given to wake, each day we have to greet the sun and each day we have to hold our loved ones close is a precious gift. Pain, troubles, fear... sure they are all part of the day, but so is the love we share and the joy we hold. Those surprises, both good and bad are the prizes at the end of the day continually making this life worth living. Every morning I get up and face a new day is a reminder of how truly blessed and how very much alive I am! Sure, I have a ton of left over baggage from the previous day, but don't I still have this new day in front of me? A day full of possibilities and new adventures? Yes, and this morning after two brutal days I was reminded of those blessings.

Children have a way of shaking us right out of our self induced misery. They really do. My morning started off, well rather chaotic. I over slept, missed the alarm and didn't wake until I heard the neighbor boy knock on our front door at 5 till 7 this morning. Crazy does not begin to cover it!

I jumped up, threw the covers off and on top of both Johnny and poor Micah. I went scrambling out of the room and into the living room where Joshua was sound asleep. Of course he was, poor baby, I hadn't woken him up at 6:20 A.M. because I had slept through the alarm! Both Johnny and I were up and running. Normally Johnny isn't up till after 7 A.M. when he takes both Joshua and his friend to school.

Breakfast, no time Johnny said. Well as a mother that didn't even sink in. Breakfast was on the table lickity spilt. I was brushing Joshua's hair, grabbing his back pack. Johnny was digging through the clean laundry for clothes. I was a wreck. Then my eyes caught sight of Joshua's buddy. Bless his heart he was folding up the bedding for me. I hadn't asked but there he was. I was standing there in shock. This sweet boy was helping me out. I must have looked like a crazy women. The scene must have been nuts, but there he was just folding away.

Suddenly everything stopped for me. This was my first gift of the day. I was humbled and touched. Then as suddenly as it began the race to get out of the door slowed down. Zack just looked at me and said, " I just thought I would help you out Mrs. Olachia." I hugged him and thanked him. This was my first reminder... life is precious, slow down, enjoy the ride and for goodness sake Christina, stop and smell the roses!

Joshua finished his breakfast, brushed his teeth and saddled up his back pack. I hugged my boy and kissed him on the cheek and said goodbye. Then I turned my attention to Micah. Like clockwork Micah comes in our room at 11:30 P.M. and crawls into bed with us every night. Never fails with his sleep mask pushed up, rubbing his eyes Micah announces that he cannot sleep. Then he crawls over Johnny and the dog to sleep next to me. There he was sleeping like a baby all wrapped up in the cover on our bed as if he owned it. His morning would go a bit smoother as school for him starts an hour later.

I woke him up and had him out to the table for breakfast with out a fuss. No one was announcing there wasn't time this time around. Blessing number two. As Micah woke up, his excitement started to build. Today was 50's day at school marking the 50th day of school. Micah was dressing up like Elvis! Oh how he loves Elvis. In fact for his 8th birthday he had an Elvis party complete with an Elvis impersonator!

Talk about crazy fun!He finished breakfast and sat there expectantly. I pulled out the 5 different hair care products I needed to get his hair fixed in place. This is the thing about Micah's hair: It was fine and straight before my chemo ( Just like mine was). Now his hair is thick, curly and a mess ( Just like mine is). So tackling his hair and making a duck tail out of it was a project. Spray, defrizzer, mouse, gel ( tons of gel) and hair spray. Finally his hair was done. Next came the white T, the jeans ( rolled up a bit), the fake leather jacket, and the icing on the cake... gold glasses with side burns! He was ready and eager to play his role. Micah kissed me and then he was off and out the door. There was no stopping him.Talk about blessings, surprises and gifts! What a morning I have had and it is only 8:45 A.M. !

This is the most important lesson I have learned and from time to time have had to be re-taught: Life is a blessing. Give or take, joy or sorrow, dark or blue skies... we are here for a purpose. Without one, we cannot have the other. Life is not perfect and so we have to hold on to the little things that make life bearable.

Yes, this has been a crazy few days for me and yes, I have grumbled and complained. We all have those moments. Without them we would not be human. But today, wrapped up in the crazy chaos of this morning I found hope again. I latched on to the blessings right in front of me, my family and those who lovingly surround my life. Without realizing it I started climbing back out of the pit I had fallen into.

I am blessed. Pain will come as will fear and frustration. The thing I have learned though in all this turmoil along my journey with the beast is that we all have to rest. Even the beast has to force herself back into the den every once and a while. We are warriors, journeymen and women, but rest is a vital part of living. Blessing work the same way my friends. We all need them and we are all blessed by them... we just have to be open to what we are given come rain or shine. We just have to open our eyes and see the gifts waiting for us to open.


Christina

Comments

  1. ((Hugs))Stay loved beautiful spirit! (Hugs)Indigo

    ReplyDelete
  2. And that says it all. You are one beautiful warrior who makes me turn around and put my life back into perspective. HUGS

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing your blessings with us. I need to stop and smell the roses more often. I love the picture of your little Elvis, he looks so happy.
    Love & Hugs
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely kind soul that young man has. Isn't it amazing that you didn't miss this blessing in front of you. It was meant to be and snap you back into the moment. How wonderful! I can just see you combing, and fussing with Micah's hair. LOL-precious! Another blessing.

    hugzzz...

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are an inspiration.You realy make me "Wake up and smell the roses".Prayers continueing for you and yours.What a delightful picture.Just so handsome.Take care God Bless Kath xx
    http://kath-mysimplerhymes2.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. I need to slow down myself and look at my blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like a beautiful mornin'. beautifully written too. treasure the moments as they unfold is my motto. you captured it beautifully here. HUGZ!~kbear

    ReplyDelete
  8. You remind me of what's truly important, and how blessed we really are. I hope you sharing yourself here is as good for you as it is for us.

    Ben
    http://ben-better_left_unsaid.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think we all need to stop and smell the roses more! Have a good hump day.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please leave your comments and share your thoughts.

Popular posts from this blog

Life Lesson #157 ~ Daughters of the King

Life Lesson #200 ~ Jealousy

Life Lesson #480 ~ Small But Mighty