Life Lesson #475 ~ Mom, I Get It Now

 



“’The moment a child is born, a mother is born also.” ~ Rajneesh 


As children we adore our mothers. Moms are our first home, friends, teachers, storytellers, and builders of our imaginations. They pack our lunches, give us the last of the ice cream and make sure Santa delivers, without fail. Moms laugh at our silly jokes, listen to our wild stories, replay our favorite movies repeatedly and frame our artwork on the wall like a Picasso.  


Moms pick us up when we fall. Wipe our tears, dust us off and stitch us up. They’re our first confidantes, champions and defenders. Moms tuck us into bed, read our favorite bedtime stories and sing to us as we fall asleep.  Moms are the first to chase the monsters out from under the bed or out of the closet. They’re the first to soothe our screams in the middle of the night and make room for us in the bed. Moms are our safe places and our go to any time of day or night, anywhere. We trust our moms. The safety we find inside their arms is unquestionable. Moms sacrifice for us. After all, we’re their hearts and so they protect us fiercely, love us unconditionally, nurture us and eventually they let us go.  


Our moms are our biggest fans. But we rarely notice how tired they are. Moms are usually the first ones up, the last one to eat or sit down and go to bed. The truth is without meaning or realizing it, we take them for granted most of our lives. Moms listen intently. They work behind the scenes making sure we don’t go without. I don’t know a mom who doesn’t struggle to be a better mom. Moms feel inadequate. But even when they’re running on an empty tank, moms find a way to go a little further.  


But that’s what moms sign up for. Being a mom isn’t a part time job. It’s their whole life, from sun up to sun down. Moms are annoying. But the truth is they are supposed to. Moms are relentless. Pesky even. Why do moms have to be so exasperating at times? It’s simple. Because they love you. I know most of the time we don’t think they listen or hear us, but they do. When we judge them, yell and stomp out of the room, our moms wait patiently as long as we need them to. When we feel they don’t get us. They do. And no matter what we say or do our moms forgive. They cry with us, for us, and lose sleep over us. Why? Because you are her child and whether she carried you under her heart or inside it, she will always be your mom. 


Saying all that, none of it means moms are perfect. God knows we’re not. Far from it is the truth. Moms are human. Very human. I know because I’m one. We fail a lot. We mess up, break down and fall short repeatedly. As much as we love our moms, they aren’t ever perfect. And that’s OK. Because no one is. We all have faults, we make mistakes and take wrong turns. Personally, speaking I think most of us tend to learn this though as we get older, and wiser. 

 

I've been a mom for nearly three decades now. And while I’ve made my mistakes and had my heart break, I wouldn't change any of it. Being a mom has been the most beautiful and painful experience of my life. And I'm not talking about childbirth. Becoming a parent, especially a mother, is life changing. You’re given this amazing new responsibility and care of a tiny, live human being. A child, your child. There's no way you’re ever letting go; but like it or not one day you’ll have to do just that. In that moment though, your child is safe, secure and nestled in your arms. And the one thing you do know is life is never the same again.  

 

 

When my first born child was placed into my arms, I had no idea what I was doing or how, but I was doing it anyway. Everything in my world was upside down and right side up at the same time. Suddenly, I saw my parents in a new light. But I think becoming a parent opens your eyes. You have compassion for the missteps. You see the imperfections aren’t weaknesses or inadequacy. Your parents become real life people with real life complications and worries. About the time we realize all the answers, we thought we had are full of holes, we’re parents ourselves. See, that’s the thing about raising kids, it’s a good, swift kick in the butt. It humbles you. 


So today, as we head into Mother's Day weekend, I want to thank my mom for being imperfect, difficult, annoying, pesky, saying no, teaching me to say I’m sorry, holding me accountable, showing me forgiveness and grace but not always giving me what I wanted. Thank you, Mom. I love you. I hope you know I get it now. 

 

~Merida Grace 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Life Lesson #157 ~ Daughters of the King

Life Lesson #200 ~ Jealousy

Life Lesson #480 ~ Small But Mighty