Life Lesson #472 ~ If I Live To Be 100

 


“Aging is an extraordinary process where you become the person you always should have been,“ ~ David Bowie

There’s no denying it. I’m getting older. I have wrinkles, creases around my face and stiff joints. Oh, and what about the bruises I can’t remember happening. Or that limp when I get up. And yes, I absolutely make lists for my lists. I forget names, dates, times and places. Not to mention where I’ve left my phone these days.


Let’s face it, my memory isn’t as detailed as it used to be. My idea of a fun weekend is a night at home, on the couch, with the hubby and our dogs binge-watching this, that and the other. And while I’d like to say the gray in my hair is fashion forward. It’s not. Wisdom is negotiable. Age is not.   


Mostly, I’m just thankful for today. Bruises, scars, hiccups and all. I think most of us in our 40s and above feel the same. We’ve got a bit of experience under our belts at this point. All those life lessons that scratched and scraped us up mean something now. Especially, as we’re staring down 50.


Let’s be real. In our youth we’ve been in some tight spots, right? And God knows mismashed and botched up directions more times than either of us can count. Yep. We’ve done it all, survived and now here we are excited about the senior citizen discounts. Who’d have thought, right? 


Honestly, I think you reach a certain age, and wake up. Life doesn’t just feel different, it looks different too. You realize one morning the face looking back at you is weathered, worn and aged. You’re not as young as you once were. We’ve gotten older, a little more enlightened, and hopefully a bit more rational and saged than we were before. Most of the time anyway. Diane Von Furstenburg says it quite eloquently actually. “Aging is out of your control How you handle it, though, is in your hands.”


See, all those impossibilities aren’t so impossible anymore. We’ve matured, growing into every wrinkle and gray strand of hair. Hearsay isn’t as exciting as it used to be when we were 15. Our focus shifts. It’s not so much about if we can but the question becomes, should we. Interest in disrupting anyone else’s life, much less our own, has disappeared. All of that is just a train wreck waiting to happen most of the time. By 50 we’ve figured out being right doesn’t always mean we’re right. More importantly, it isn't always worth the price.  


Being wrong and letting quarrels go brings more peace than dying on that sword does. Thinking before we speak, reacting less and responding more becomes our priority. You could say we’re finally listening. Not just talking to hear our own voice. By the time 49 is making tracks behind us the rules have changed. And as for that youthful inexperience, well, it’s finally in our rear-view mirror. Mostly, anyway.  


For me the insecurities of my teens, followed by the drama of my 20’s, and the inexperience of my 30’s have taught me a lot about life.  I haven’t always risen above the turbulence, but I’ve definitely grown through it. My 40’s have shown me how to truly forgive and let go of expectations.


I don’t know about you, but as I approach 50, I no longer take the small details for granted anymore. If I live to be 100, life is halfway behind me.  So what I want most is to wake up rested and go to bed content. And each day I’m given despite myself, the more I understand how little I really know. I may be getting older, and let’s hope more grounded, but the one thing I know is I’ll always be learning. 

 

~Merida Grace 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Life Lesson #157 ~ Daughters of the King

Life Lesson #200 ~ Jealousy

Life Lesson #480 ~ Small But Mighty