Life Lesson #237 ~ Love’s Greatest Adventure






“When we get to the end of our lives together, the house we had, the cars we drove, the things we possessed won’t matter. What will matter, is that I had you, and you had me.” ~ Unknown
Let’s be honest. My life’s been an adventure. From the moment I was born, l was handed a passport and a suitcase full of wacky and whimsical shenanigans. I can’t remember a time when I wasn’t off on an escapade somewhere or juggling uncertainty. Sure, I was born a free-spirit, but I was also raised to question everything, explore the outlands and venture out past the limit signs. While I was growing up my parents seemed to be restless souls to me with a little bit of gypsy in their hearts, traveling all around the world together.  

Now I gotta tell y'all within seconds of taking my first breath, mama and daddy welcomed their baby girl into what was a small, but inclusive adventurers club. After all, adventure was out there. And if it was calling our names, you can bet we were going wherever it led. Be it living on a houseboat, homesteading in Australia or jumping out of planes, my daddy has always had an adventurous soul, one of the biggest I’ve ever known. And it was contagious. Come on, mama and I were sworn in explorers.Daddy led and we followed. Adventure was in our blood; and whether it was traveling or moving halfway across the world, we were in like Flynn!

Born the only child of a soldier, paratrooper and a Green Beret, and the daughter of a shy and quiet musician, my path was set right from the start. As soon as I took my first breath, I was placed into the waiting arms of two beautiful souls who believed life was the greatest adventure. Being a family of explorers, travelers and voyagers, I spent most of my childhood moving from one place to another. I found out early, it takes a divergent soul to roam as we did. I had to develop a backbone, become resilient and have a bit of bounce. Any true explorer knows you must be capable of bending gracefully and adjusting your sails often to live the life of a wayfarer. Our adventures shaped my path, literally whittling away, defining my spirit. You see, this is the reason growing up to be a writer wasn’t just fate. It was my destiny. A map mastered by the Divine hand of God. he knew not only who I would grow up to be, but within whose hands to place me in.

From Silver Springs, Maryland to Fort Monmouth, New Jersey, all the way to Frankfurt, Germany and back again to the states, I’ve always had a story to tell. And as we made our way through Florida, Louisiana, Texas and West Virginia, those stories grew. Our family adventures opened doors I’d never have opened, much less walked through, on my own if I’d lived in one place my whole life. Looking back now, the truth is, I wouldn’t change a thing. And I don’t think my parents would either. In their 50 years, 600 months, 18, 250 days and 438,000 hours together, not to mention the temporary housing or 27 houses and 19 towns they’ve lived in, the times may have changed, but they haven’t. After all these years, my parents are still each other’s greatest adventure.
So how did their adventure begin? Well, like any great love story they met quite unexpectedly. Neither one was looking for love nor did either want anything to do with dating, much less marriage. Didn’t matter though, love found ‘em and set their worlds on fire. My dad, a southern boy from Alabama, so clearly out of his element in Philly of all places, found himself driving a Red Arrow bus the day my mama stepped into his line of vision. Never in a million years had he thought he'd be living up North or find the love of his life on a bus. The first words outta his mouth were, “Howdy ma’am.” Talk about a fish out of water. That was it though. Lightning struck, souls collided, and adventure called. My daddy was a warm summer breeze across my mama’s heart. He made her feel at home, alive and free. Mama untied daddy’s wings, fueled his dreams, inspired his heart and calmed his soul. Call it what you want fate or the hand of God, after a nine-month whirlwind romance, they tied the knot in February 1969. Then they promptly set out on an adventure of a lifetime.  

Together they sailed oceans and crossed continents for years. They made plans for the future, invested when they could but life kept getting in the way, causing them start over time and time again. Like Carl and Ellie, of Up. unforeseen events always seemed to dwindle their savings a little bit at a time and before they knew it the jar was empty again. Sure, South America came up many times over the years. Paradise Falls would’ve been the adventure to beat all adventures. That is, if life would’ve stopped smashing the jar.  

Helen Keller once said, “Life is either a daring adventure or nothing at all.” And you know, she was right. Without each and every move or house we unpacked and packed up again our lives would’ve never taken the less traveled roads. Because of my parents. I have seen the wonders of this world. I’m the woman I am today because of the choices they made. I grew up in a home filled with unconditional love, unfailing faith and unwavering support. Was life perfect? Did we always agree? No, not at all. In fact, it was hard, difficult at best and many times unpredictable. We lost a house at one point. My body gave way and the medical bills seemed to keep piling in. And as if that wasn’t enough, my dad was given an unexpected medical discharge from the Army in the early 80’s. Out in the civilian world he faced downsizing and multiple layoffs. I saw my parents struggle to make ends meet. I watched my daddy work long, hard nights. And still in spite of having very little, I witnessed their faith move mountains, sharing what they had, always opening our home to those in need.  

I’ve learned kindness and compassion solely from my parents' example. I've embraced hope watching them pave the way. Do you want to know why my faith is so strong? I’ll tell you without hesitation. It’s because my parents have lived thiers out loud. And now looking back just as much as forward, I believe my parents lives mirror Eleanor Roosevelt’s words. “Beautiful young people are accidents of nature, but beautiful old people are world of art.” And like Carl and Ellie from Disney’s Pixar’s Up, their love is timeless. In 50 years they’ve lived, loved, lost and chosen again and again the truth of God’s design. Hebrews 13:5 says, “Don’t fall in love with money. Be satisfied with what you have. The Lord has promised that He will not leave us or desert us.” I’ve seen this faith in my parents, watched them happy with little and content with even less. And as their daughter I’m blessed. I’m part of their story and not just a byline. My story is equally wrapped up inside of theirs. My parents adventure is a story so rare, most of us will never see one of its like again.

And so today, as my parents celebrate 50 years of marriage, I want to honor them. Most of my Life Lessons would’ve never made the light of day without my parents. Each lesson I’ve shared over these last several years sprouted from one of countless grand adventures they’ve shared with me, my hubby and our boys. That's why this particular Life Lesson, #237~ Love's Greatest Adventure, is so dear to my heart. My parents are not only the genesis of my faith, hope, joy and perseverance... they are the gold standard.

Now look, the truth is my parents could have swapped memories for riches or chosen a less adventurous life I suppose. I could have been born and raised in the same town, grown up in the same house and known all the same people my whole life long. I could have had all these things. And while most people pray for a calm, predictable life, I thrived in the constancy of within the uncertainty of our lives. I’ve heard it said, “Not all storms come to disrupt your life. Some come to clear your path.” And you know what? This is exactly how I see my parents. They didn’t build their marriage on a first kiss. No, not at all. They built their marriage, life, and family on the Rock of Ages. And this is why their legacy will endure long after they’re gone. Like Carl and Ellie’s handprints painted on a mailbox, the life and love my parents have built aren’t possessions gained but rather memories cherished.

What I can tell you is this. In the end, what matters most aren't the possessions my parents own or the money they leave behind. None of these things matter. None. What really matters most is the importance of family. Every adventure, each story holds a memory no one can take away. Faith, unconditional love, kindness and compassion are our family’s inheritance. Our adventures are undeniable and our memories are unbreakable My parents 50-year love story has truly been the greatest adventure of them all!

“I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.” ~ Douglas Adams

~Merida Grace




Comments

  1. Such a great trip to your parents! I have met them at La Madeleine. I love them. They are so kind and friendly. You are blessed to be their daughter and to have lived such an adventurous life.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please leave your comments and share your thoughts.

Popular posts from this blog

Life Lesson #157 ~ Daughters of the King

Life Lesson #200 ~ Jealousy

Life Lesson #480 ~ Small But Mighty