Life Lesson #228 ~ Live Authentically




“Happiness is not a checklist. A dream job, a fast car, a good home, even love, mean nothing at all if you have not yet found a way to feel full and content in your one mind and heart.” ~ Beau Taplin


Let me first begin with this... 


I usually don’t have a plan most of the time. My imagination, however, always has one. Combine this with my old pal weirdness and most days I’m off and running. See, I’m one of those old souls. I’m a little odd honestly but I’ve never minded the label. Life’s been tough. I won’t deny it. And yet somehow, I still carry a happy heart in spite of the struggle. I’m most definitely an only child, there’s no way around that. My imagination and curiosity can attest to this. I’ve never been lonely though. As for my life experiences? Well each one's fashioned me into the writer I am today. I’m happy I’m me. And I wouldn’t want it any other way. 


Turning 45 has me calling my childhood to mind. It seems so long ago some days. Others it feels just like yesterday. I still see my mama’s long blond hair falling down across her face, playing her guitar in the living room. And if I listen closely I can hear my daddy’s voice calling my name out walking through the door. My life has been incredibly ordinary in the most extraordinary way. From all  the places I’ve lived to all the people I’ve met, life has never been boring. I was born in Virginia, just outside Washington D.C. and turned four in Germany. By the time I was sixteen I was a pro when it came to IV's and hospital stays. And at twenty-one I’d packed up over two dozen houses, moved and unpacked again. When I think of my childhood I often recall this quote from the Wonder Years. “There are things about your childhood you hold onto, because they were so much a part of you. The places you went, the people you knew.” I consider all the cities I’ve lived in, all over the US and around the world. Each house that became a home and the people who shared it with us. I remember my mama singing scripture music right out of the Psalms. Every dinner around our table, every Christmas tree and each and every Bible study my parents led are a part of my core memories. Sure, I’d love to go back occasionally, who wouldn’t? But while many folks say they’d like to change directions, move hurdles or bypass difficulties in the past...not me. I’m who I am because of the hardships. Besides, Mary Jo Putney is right. “What one loves in childhood stays in the heart forever.” And in my case, I’d say it’s abundantly so.
 
Yes, I was the girl with the bright red messy hair. As for the freckles? Well, let’s just say I wasn’t ever bored. Seriously, connect the dots was my strong suit. After all, when your body holds a canvas filled with decimal points, this game comes rather easily. I’d spend hours outdoors running from one adventure to the next. A typical day usually meant some kind of compromise between a cape and a tiara. If I wasn’t off soaring across the skies on the back of a dragon, I was sailing the Seven Seas. I never seemed to have trouble imagining my bed as a stage or singing at the top of my lungs into my mama’s old pink Tickle deodorant bottle. To thunderous applause I might add. At least once a week I'd lace up my ballet shoes, pulling my tutu on and dance until I fell over from exhaustion. And if I was missing? All you had to do was peek inside my closet. You’d find me alright. A flashlight in one hand and a comic book in the other. Yes, I was the little girl who always wanted just one more story before bed, one more goodnight kiss and the closet light left on. I loved reading. I imagined myself as Anne Shirley, Pipi Longstocking, Lucy Pevensie and of course Alice. I had a wild sense of ingenuity and resourcefulness growing up. There’s no doubt my mama would agree with J. Iron Word when it comes to her daughter’s enthusiasm for life even today. “Her messy hair a visible attribute of her stubborn spirit. As she shakes it free, she smiles knowing wild is her favorite color.” 

I was a quiet child, that is until I knew you. Once I did though, I was very talkative. So much so my daddy often called me motor mouth. I doubt anyone would ever accuse me of being an unhappy child either. In fact, I was quite fiercely optimistic. Till this day I still see the good in everything and everyone. And just as it was back then, I’m still not everyone’s cup of tea. I’ve accepted this. Most of the time you either like me or you don’t. There’s really no in between and I’m OK with that. I’m odd. I know. It’s no secret, never has been. I was the girl with the imaginary friends. Yes, I was THAT girl. Bing Bong would have felt right at home inside my head. I know what you’re thinking. I knew they weren't real, but I also understood they had a place in my world. I was never ashamed of my imagination. And I’m still not. I’m one of the lucky ones as they say. My parents never discouraged me. Instead it was quite the opposite in our home. I was profoundly encouraged. My mama and daddy fought against the complicity of average. I don’t mean in a my child is better than your kid kind of way either. My parents weren’t looking for me to bring them glory. They were too busy loving me the way I was. The reality the outside world offered me growing up was this. I was the girl who dreamed too much or whose hopes reached too high. I’d say yesterday or today for that matter, A. J. Lawless hits the nail on the head. “Be gentle my little thunderstorm, the world is just not ready.”

Don’t worry now. I may not have always fit in, but I always found my place wherever I went. Like Riley in Pixar’s Inside Out, I’ve never been big on spiders or clowns. I can be emotional, sentimental, a bit shy and uncertain of myself but you know what? I’ve learned to adapt without compromising who I am. My parents gave me this gift. You’ve heard the saying "be Jesus to someone?" Well they’ve always been Jesus to me. Hasn’t mattered what time of day, week or heck even what’s going on, my folks have always shown me His unconditional love just as I am. No strings attached. Like James 1:22 says, they were doers of the Word, not just hearers. Coming up I always saw life as a Christian differently I mean, isn't it far better to be washed then starched and pressed? In my mama and daddy, I’ve not only seen but known genuine, authentic Christ-like love. I’ve watched my parents share this same compassion with everyone who’s ever come through their door. I’m not talking the fake God loves you jargon either. I’m speaking of the real McCoy, getting into the trenches, fighting side by side and pulling you out type of God’s love. This is the love and kindness I was exposed to my entire life. I’ve no idea who said this, but my parents embody it. “The kinder you are, the more beautiful you become.”
 
As for my imaginary friends? As every child, I eventually let go, outgrowing and leaving them behind at some point. My parents knew I would. I’m convinced now mama and daddy had no doubt I needed those odd, peculiar and childish friends of mine during the first years of my life. They were kind, and unassuming. I adopted them and in turn always had a place of retreat when life got a bit bumpy. Like Bing Bong, when I needed them, they were helpful and devoted, always loving and imaginative. We’d create worlds no one else could ever imagine, riding rockets into space or tying a cape around our necks flying around the world together. I didn’t have an iPhone in my back pocket. I have no idea what everyone else carried around, but I didn’t go anywhere without a notepad, a pencil, crayons and my imagination. When I said goodbye to my imaginary friends I knew the world wasn't quite ready for me, but I knew down the line I wouldn't care. I promised then I’d write about our adventures one day. And I have. The moment I first picked up my pen and began writing, those stories came to life on paper. All these years later I'm still doing my thing...dreaming, writing and leaning on my imagination. My daddy used to whisper this in my ear and I’ve never forgotten it. “The woman who follows the crowd will usually go no further than the crowd. The woman who walks alone is likely to find herself in places no one has ever seen before.“  And I still like to keep this little bit of Albert Einstein’s wisdom with me.

Life Lesson #228 ~Live Authentically is about so much more than imaginary friends with purple bow ties and pink polka dots. Sure, Bing Bong, was a vital part of Riley’s childhood, and in the end, he sacrificed himself for Joy. I think of his last words, “Take her to the moon for me.” Isn’t this what imagination does for all of us? I gives us hope, inspires goodness and creativity; and above all if explored without fear, brings us real joy. The bottom line is I'm thankful my parents never pushed me too soon to let go. Imagination’s always been my superpower. And it’s nothing to be ashamed of. Yes, I was a weird kid, but inside the safety of my home, weird was quite acceptable. I like to think like Riley, each orb and every core memory has defined me. In my world the Island of Imagination has some of the greatest importance. And my parents knew this. Nothing came at the cost of losing my imagination. I’m happy for this. If not for my parent's insight, I may not have become a writer. I know who I am today because of this. Accepted or not, who cares? Do any us really want to be a cookie cutter copy of the rest of the world? Is fitting in so important that losing yourself is the acceptable price? I sure don’t. I’ll take my red hair, freckles and wild imagination any day. And you should too.

As we wrap up here today, the truth is you and I are unique. We’re different in our own ways. You bring beauty into the world I can only dream of. I command words to life with my pen. Jesus Christ has never asked me to be anything other than myself. He isn’t sitting around taking notes on all the ways I’ve failed Him. I don’t believe He’s expecting any of us to be perfect copies of Himself either, that’s for sure. Love your purple hair. Wear your tattoo sleeve for the world to see. Be you. I Corinthians 10:31 says this. “So, whether you eat or drink, whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God." If my parents have taught me anything, it’s this. Jesus simply wants us to be the best version of ourselves we can be. He created us after all. I mean 1 John 3:20 says,” God is greater than our worried hearts and knows more about us than we do ourselves.” Shouldn't we believe Him? Love is unconditional after all, isn’t it? God’s is. He loves us just as we are, as you are. John 6:37b only reinforces this. “I will never turn away anyone who comes to me.” Hear that? Just do your thing and let your light shine.  And as you do remember this. Life isn’t so much about finding yourself, on your own anyway. Life is about discovery, imagination and faith in the impossible. When we live accordingly, shutting down pretense and insincerity, and blocking out the counterfeit wisdom of said know it all's, we discover who Jesus Christ created us to be. So, when the world tells you to keep your ideas to yourself…don’t. Speak up, imagine and if you’re like me pick up your pen and write. When the critics tell you you’re nothing special, speak boldly, speak loudly with your life. Be genuine, live authentically. Be true to who you are, unapologetically. Remember you have something brilliantly unique inside to share with the world. Now go do it.

“An extraordinary life is built one beautiful ordinary day at a time.” ~ Rebecca Eanes

Saol fada chugat. Long life to you.

~Merida Grace

Comments

Post a Comment

Please leave your comments and share your thoughts.

Popular posts from this blog

Life Lesson #157 ~ Daughters of the King

Life Lesson #200 ~ Jealousy

Life Lesson #480 ~ Small But Mighty