Life Lesson #219~ When The Lion Roars



“I do not understand this mystery of grace - only that it meets us where we are but does not leave us where it found us.” ~ Anne Lamott


I don’t know about you but I’m fairly tickled pink Jesus has never said to me, “This is the last straw missy. The absolute last time I’m going to put you back together again Christie.” I can assure you if anyone is going to test His patience it’s me. I have always had a need to learn things on my own, the hard way even. I can be rather stubborn, headstrong and of course strong-willed to boot. No real surprise there, right? I’m a redhead for goodness gracious sake. What do you expect? After all Pippi Longstocking was my role model back in the day. She was a bit of spitfire if I do say so myself. Reminiscing a little bit I remember this one particular day as a little girl that didn’t quite go as planned. I was about 3 or 4 years old and we were living in Germany at the time. I stood outside our military quarters watching all my friends cross the street to the playground. It wasn’t far but just far enough that my mama couldn’t see me. I wasn’t allowed to go alone. This was the rule. I sat there watching sadly until my better sense lost the battle. What was going through my tiny mind I have no idea but I looked around, then back and bolted. My mama has eyes in the back of her head. I was never, ever truly out of her sight and I knew this. So why I chose to make a break for it that day I can’t begin to imagine. But I did. And I was certainly not getting away with anything that day. Mama watched me look both ways, then cross the street and finally run onto the playground like an escapee. Before I knew what had happened I was on my way back home with my hand firmly in my mama’s. This was the first time I consciously tested her boundaries. I learned quickly this was not going to fly. But you know what else I found out that day? Grace is abundant. My fears were cast out not too long afterwards. And forgiveness was magnified in my mama’s unconditional love. In between my tears and panicked breathing I felt my mama’s arms pick me up, pull me close and soothe my wounded pride. Redemption filled the air. You see grace is undeserved, unearned and unmerited but that’s the beauty of it. The truth is grace changes everything. Grace and mercy are powerful. Just as there is authority in the name of Jesus Christ, there is amazing power in His grace and mercy too. He’s the chain breaker. Call it what it whatever you want but I call it grace. I saw it, felt it and I never forgot it. That afternoon my mama was a living testimony of Jesus Christ’s grace and mercy to me. She was the embodiment of C.S. Lewis’ words, “Be just and merciful and brave.”  You have to understand no one is ever so broken that the grace of Jesus Christ is lost. In those moments I was broken, ashamed and my pride bruised and embarrassed. But just like Jesus, my mama’s love for me was deeper than the sea. I tell you as far back as I can remember my mama has always walked gracefully in the Spirit of God, and that day was different. Her example to my little four year self came right out of James 2:13. “Mercy triumphs over judgement.”

Today I’m thinking of the great Aslan of Narnia, of his death and resurrection. I know what you must be thinking? How does any of that fantasy bookish, Disney nonsense play into Easter, right? Well indulge me a little if you will. First did you know Aslan is the Turkish name for lion? I was blown away by this little golden nugget too. Aslan is a lion, the Great lion in fact. He’s the rightful King of Narnia. And he ultimately gives his life as a sacrifice. He brought Peter, Susan, Edmund and Lucy to Narnia through the wardrobe to reveal himself to them in his world so that when they return to theirs, they would only know him, just by another name. As the story unfolds one of them betrays him and his own siblings too for that matter. Edmund sides with the White Witch who has turned Narnia into a land of winter. Mr. Timmus explains this to Lucy when he first meets her. He says,. “Always winter and never Christmas.” And Lucy replies, “How awful.” How awful indeed. The White Witch has taken control of Narnia and evil of every kind is a foot. Knowing the Great Lion will return one day she looks to find him through this son of Adam, known as Edmund. In her best attempt to sway him she bends and twists him into her pawn. As the story continues we learn the White Witch seeks to devour Aslan. She’s near delirious  when the time finally comes with the stone knife in her hand. Still Aslan goes willing to the Stone Table to exchange his life for Edmund’s. He’s willing to pay the debt Edmund owes. During the battle she calls out for Edmund. He’s hers by right according to the Law of Deep Magic. And though Aslan agrees he warns her,” I was there when it was written.” But when all is said and done he offers his own life in exchange. And though no one realizes this is the agreement he makes. Aslan knows his death is unavoidable and won’t come easy either. It’s a terrible, painful and downright monstrous death. The words in The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe read like this. “When a willing victim who has committed no treachery was killed in a traitor’s stead, the table would crack and Death itself would start working backward.”

Now do you see it? Aslan, the great lion, is not Christ but he is a beautiful symbolic representation of Him. The truth is Aslan is very different indeed. But he’s most certainly a Christ-like character similar enough to remind us of Jesus Christ Himself. Aslan even gives the Pevensie children new names after the great battle. They become known as Queen Lucy, the Valiant, King Edmund the Just, King Peter, the Magnificent and Queen Susan the Gentle. This personally reminds me of  Revelation 2:7. “And I will give to each one a white stone, and on the stone will be engraved a new name that no one understands except the one who receives it.” Now looking towards Easter this story reminds of some very close but different similarities. When I think of the Stone Table and the Cross I see sacrifice, grace, mercy and unconditional love playing out. Like Aslan, Jesus Christ was put to death. He was sinless and yet took the burden of death upon himself for our treachery. He was nailed to a cross and hung, His side pierced and His blood shed in exchange for us. Jesus Christ is the Lion of Judah. He is God’s son, our Savior and the King of Kings. Like Aslan and the White Witch,  Satan thought he had defeated God but on the third day Jesus Christ indeed rose from the dead, His grace extending to all who believe. A.W.Tozer has it right.  “Mercy is not something God has, but something God is.” Just as it was unsafe and dangerous to follow Aslan in Narnia, it isn't always as easy for us here either. Mr. Beaver is clear about this when he tells Susan. “Who said anything about safe? Course he isn’t safe. But he’s good, He’s the King, I tell you.” Similar to Aslan Jesus’ glory shines all around us, The beauty of God's plans were revealed when Jesus, the Son of God came back to life on Resurrection day. Jesus himself proclaims in John 14:6, “I am the way, the truth and the life; no one goes to the Father except by me.”

Now truth be told, in the 40 years since I bolted across the street, I’ve learned a good many things about mercy, forgiveness and grace....one of the biggest being this. Sometimes our worst decisions can lead us to the most incredible places we could’ve never imagined ourselves. See it doesn’t matter where you’ve been or what you’ve done. Sometimes we get caught up in the chaos, strife and drama. And like Edmund, the middle child in the Pevensie bunch, we doubt selves. Even when God offers us His grace, we may find ourselves feeling like Edmund did...unforgivable. The guilt of our wrongdoing and burden of our transgressions can almost break us. Edmund knew this feeling too. Realizing what he’d done he saw no way of fixing his mistakes, or for that matter, repairing his broken relationships with his family. Instead he tried to convince himself it was all a dream or a nightmare he had no control over. That’s the thing about sin. It manipulates and controls us as long as we’re willing to comfort ourselves with a lie. Like Edmund we feel lost. And with a lump in our throats we may feel like uttering his exact words. "I've seen what the White Witch can do and I’ve helped her do it.” I mean how does one come back from that? Rebekah M. Hallberg hits the nail on the head. “Redemption is not just about the survival of our soul, it’s about the revival of a soul that was once dead.” The truth is this. Not one of us can ever be too far gone for God's grace. Jesus knows all of our pain and sorrow. He speaks to the unpardonable sin inside of us. He causes the impossible to become reality. In fact, God deals in making the impossible possible. All we have to do is be willing to be led out of the tomb. Today over 2000 years after Jesus Christ rose from the dead He can raise us up too, if we only believe.

Much like Edmund we can all find redemption. But first we just have to take a leap of faith. Shakespeare said in the Twelfth Night. “Do not be afraid of greatness. Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.” This is what happened to Peter, Susan, Edmund and Lucy. It’s also what happens to us. Doesn’t matter where you’ve been or what you’ve done the truth is God can take our lives wrecked and a mess and turn them into beautiful victorious testimonies for Him. Jarrid Wilson once said, “Jesus takes what is broken and makes it beautiful. It’s called grace.” And God does, everyday. Grace is my middle name when it comes to my Father in Heaven. We'l , not literally, but it probably should be. If not for His grace I would be lost in darkness, without hope and broken in a thousand and one pieces. Joel 2:25 says this. “God can restore what is broken and change it into something amazing. All you need is faith.” And faith is something I have. Faith has carried me through the worst. Grace has saved me. Mercy has rescued me. His love for me is greater than anything this world offers. I have no doubt He who lives in me is greater than all  the glories of this world. God’s grace may seem reckless, but His grace and mercy are beautiful gifts. Though it’s origin I do not know there’s truth in these words. “Grace means that all your mistakes now serve a purpose instead of serving shame.” I’m a child of God but I’m also very human. I’m a sinner saved by His grace over and over again. I fall. I make mistakes, I live and learn that’s for sure. I’m about as far from perfect as the east is from the west and then some. Nothing I do or say is enough to earn His grace. And still His grace is mine. Titus 3:5 assures us of this. “He saved us, not because of righteous things we have done. But because of His mercy.”

I think we’d all agree coming face to face with the consequences of our sin can be fairly terrifying. Sin isn’t kind or pretty anyway you slice it. And if facing our own sin is frightening, imagine taking the wrap for someone else’s. But this is exactly what Aslan does for Edmund, does he not? He willingly goes and without protest offers up his own life for that of Edmund. No matter how much Edmund messed up, he can't outrun Aslan's love. None of what was done in his past matters. He’s still redeemable. Edmund, despite his betrayal is given a second chance, Aslan shows him mercy. Grace is bestowed upon him. In the coming days of battle Edmund remains faithful and steadfast. He is now one of the King's men. He stands with Aslan the one true King of Narnia. Aslan’s sacrifice gives Edmund a new life. He’s born again so to speak. But still the debt must be paid first before it can be forgiven. And so Aslan orders his people to move from the Stone Table. They share a meal and many begin to see Aslan has become downcast. The camp becomes overcome with sadness, grief and gloom. And as all this is happening the White Witch and her minions are gathering at the Stone Table in anticipation of Aslan’s imminent death. Still not knowing the deal Aslan has made with the White Witch Susan and Lucy feel something is very wrong. And it just hangs over Susan and Lucy like a black cloud. They can’t sleep and so they go looking for him. They find Aslan leaving camp alone and plead to follow him. He agrees but only on the strict understanding when he says go, they do so immediately. Once they reach the Stone Table Aslan begs them to leave. But like many of us, Susan and Lucy are stubborn souls. Instead of leaving they hide just out of sight. What they had to be feeling I can’t imagine. It has to be something close to what Jesus’ followers did  though in the day He was flogged, paraded through the streets and hung on the cross. The scenes  leading up to Aslan’s death are heart wrenching, disturbing and almost hard to bear. In real life the death of Jesus is brutal and difficult to conceive as well. However I believe the part of story right before Aslan arrives at the Stone Table is meant to depict  and show us the agony Jesus went through in the Garden of Gethsemane. Here He struggled with his coming death by crucifixion. He knew He would be betrayed. He knew his death would not be easy. Aslan in comparison feels a sense of dread and great agony knowing his impending death approaches by the hand of evil itself. Like Jesus, Aslan is humiliated. Christ Himself was pierced, stripped and wipped. And finally, made to wear a crown of thorns upon His head. In turn Aslan’s mane was shaved off, his mouth muzzled and slain by the White Witch with her stone knife. In is death it is understood and known by all... Aslan gave up his life to save Edmund’s. Like Jesus Christ loves us Aslan loved Peter, Susan, Edmund and Lucy. Truly Aslan’s death was near unbearable for Lucy. Her heart was broken but she was faithful and valiant. Both Susan and Lucy were beyond miserable, distraught and inconsolable in those moments. C.S. Lewis himself speaks to the reader of this. “I hope no one who reads this book has been quite as miserable as Susan and Lucy were that night, but if you have been  ~ if you’ve been up all night and cried till you have no more tears left in you ~ you will know that there comes in the end a sort of quietness. You feel as if nothing is ever going to happen again.” In the quiet heartbreaking stillness of this moment I can hear Christ’s own words echoing…”It is finished.”

But this is not where the story ends my friends. Not in a long shot. See when the Lion of God roars nothing can stand against Him. The same can be said of the great lion Aslan in the world of Narnia. And this is really where the story within Life Lesson #219~ When the Lion Roars ultimately reveals itself. Yes, hope seemed lost. Fear was in pursuit. And in those moments Lucy and Susan were alone in their sadness and grief. The Great Lion, the King was dead. His roar had gone silent. But as the night passed not all was lost. Morning was coming. Death was about to suffer a devastating blow. As the cross could not hold Jesus, the chains of the Stone Table could not keep Aslan bound either. This is the part where we, like Susan and Lucy, we take up our courage and stay steadfast. Now is the time to turn our eyes toward the grace of the cross. This is the moment the stone is rolled away and all Heaven rejoices. You see God’s grace can be felt in both tragedy and triumph. And  like us, Susan and Lucy were about to realize this for themselves too. Just like scripture, and the foretelling of Christ’s death and resurrection so the prophecies of Narnia held truth and hope for all those who had faith. “Wrong will be right, when Aslan comes in sight. At the sound of his roar sorrows will be no more. When he bares his teeth, winter meets it’s death. And when he shakes his mane, we shall have spring again.” Like Christ, death could not hold him. And as the morning broke the world shook, the table spilt and the great Aslan rose awakened from death. The death of Christ is one of these same kind of earth shaking moments. If we don’t have faith in the impossible, our story might end right here. But it doesn’t. C.S. Lewis describes Aslan this way in The Silver Chair. "They turned and saw the Lion himself, so bright, and real, and strong that everything began to look pale and shadowy compared to him. "When I read this description of Aslan, I see Christ  walking triumphantly out of the tomb, leaving it empty behind Him...alive and risen from the dead. When God speaks, the earth trembles. He is the mover of mountains so how could death ever hope to hold Him? Like Lucy I believe. And I have news for you. Absolutely, it’s a spoiler but I can’t help myself. I have to  shout it from the rooftops! The tomb is empty. Jesus Christ is alive and well. He rose from the dead. Perfect love cast out fear and pushed away the stone. Mercy triumphed and death was defeated. Christ was raised to life again on Easter morning. Death could not hold Him. Jesus Christ, the Son of God, the Lion of Judah conquered death itself. I know that my redeemer lives and that He is risen indeed.

And so this weekend as we celebrate Easter let’s remember Who it is we celebrate and what He’s done for us. Jesus brings peace. He is most definitely our hope. Jesus Christ, the Son of God, the sacrificial lamb has taken our past and erased it. He began our story anew and believe me, it looks nothing like our past. His grace is yours and it will lead you home if you have faith. All you have to do is believe.

“Some journeys take us far from home. Some adventures lead us to our destiny.” ~ C.S. Lewis, The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe


~ Merida Grace


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Life Lesson #157 ~ Daughters of the King

Life Lesson #200 ~ Jealousy

Life Lesson #480 ~ Small But Mighty