Life Lesson #214 ~ Courage, Dear Heart






“Some journeys take us far from home. Some adventures lead us to our destiny.” ~ C.S. Lewis

When I was in the third grade my mama and I began reading The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis. It was the second  book in the Chronicles of Narnia series. Truthfully,  I was more than a little enthusiastic about the prospect of stepping into Lucy’s wardrobe. It was the summer of my eighth birthday to be precise. And it was the year I stepped into Aslan’s land, a place called Narnia. I held onto every word, every night as my mother read to me just before bed. Our adventures were never complete without a goodnight kiss and a promise there’d be more to come the following night. I’d drift off to the sound of mama's voice dreaming of brave knights, heroes and courage. I loved every minute of the C. S. Lewis' book series from the Magician's Nephew to The Last Battle... I  was fascinated. The artful and brilliant storytelling of C.S. Lewis captivated me. I imagined myself alongside the Pevensie children. Every adventure was just as much my own as we explored this strange and yet very fascinating world. I'll readily admit even now as as a grown woman some 36 years later I still get a little melancholy gazing into my closet. I guess I'm still waiting for Narnia to reveal herself someday. Honestly, seeing my clothing instead of the entrance to Narnia is a bummer sometimes. Of course I've had adventures of my own since 1981. But none like those of Lucy, Edward, Peter and Susan. Still I've kept their adventures and lessons learned near. One of my favorite C.S. Lewis quotes comes from his fifth of the seven novels in his series, The Voyage of the Dawn Treader. “Adventures are never fun while you’re having them.”  It's true too. How many times do we find our laughter after the adventure as we retell our story? And so in light of this, I’ve kept those very words close to my heart ever since. I’ve often wondered what it would be like to walk through a wardrobe and come face to face with a half faun, half man named Mr. Tummus. My mother knew spending time within the world of Narnia as a child would influence my imagination, curiosity, creativity, passion and vision. I literally spent the whole of my childhood outside the boundaries of normal. I never found conventional or ordinary boundaries very interesting. I longed for adventure, sought out dragons and chased my dreams until I captured them. If I took anything away from these very stories my mama read to me as a child it was  this. Something C’S. Lewis  speaks of quite well in the second book, Prince Caspian. “A spirit of adventure is necessary for courage in Narnia. Can’t have one without the other.” And I have lived my life in this manner ever since.

Now truth be told when it came to my boys I chose to follow in my mama’s footsteps. I read to them. Aslan, Narnia, Lucy, Peter, Susan, Edward and Mr. Tummus were all just as much a part of their childhood as they were mine. And while most of the recent films weren’t big box office successes, they were in our home. The Voyage of the Dawn Treader was the last film to grace the big screen and influence my writing the most. Seriously have you ever thought about stepping through a large wardrobe? Or how about gazing into a painting to suddenly find yourself pulled into an ocean on the other side of the frame? What if we could transform the ordinary into the extraordinary? The words of Carrie Underwood’s song, There is a place for us, still moves and inspire me today. “There is a place out there for us, where your heart is free and hope comes back to life”. Every time I reread or re-watch this story I'm brought back into my childhood. It’s as if I’m stepping through a waiting wardrobe inside my own heart. I can hear Aslan speaking to me as he does to Lucy. His words ever so powerful. “You doubt your value. Don’t run from who you are.” And while this quote is only found within the final film and aren't actually the words of C.S. Lewis himself, they still speak to us. Watching this film come to life in 2010 I was a child again listening to my mother’s voice. I was following along, vividly aware I was once without the knowledge cancer had claimed her stake in my life. And while that particular beast has in fact branded me, she has never owned me. The Word of God says in 2 Chronicles 20:15. “The battle is not ours, but God’s.” And as the great Aslan inside the world of C.S. Lewis reminds me, “In your world I have another name...You must learn to know me by that name. This was the very reason why you were brought to Narnia, that knowing me here for a little, you may know me better.” And in my world his name is Jesus Christ, the Son of God, the Lion of Judah, my Healer, my Provider and Protector.

As I became a teenager and adult, C. S. Lewis became one of my all time favorite authors influencing my own writing. From Boxen, The Pilgrim's Regress to The Scewtape Letters and Mere Christianity I learned being honest is powerful. Through the years his words and stories have shaped and transformed me. True it wasn’t until I was much older and breast cancer kicked in my front door I fully came to understand the meaning in his words, “Hardships often prepare ordinary people for an extraordinary destiny.” But I did and I have. You see, life in many ways is like stepping into Narnia either through the wardrobe or swimming up to the surface. Think about our struggles as children growing into adults. The fight to overcome our past reaches for our future even as we’re fighting to preserve our present. Each labor, conflict and scrap we face contributes to who we are and what we are and yes, who we eventually become. C.S. Lewis once penned in a letter, “There are better things ahead than any we leave behind.” Now this is not to say life gets easier per say.  His words aren't really meant to be encouraging, not even as we face new and uncertain circumstances. Honestly speaking, I relate his words here as expressions of Heaven... not to fear, death or anything that lies on the other side of the wardrobe. As Reepicheep says in the Voyage of the Dawn Treader, “We have nothing without faith.” In this book C.S. Lewis conveys it this way, “You can’t know, you can only believe - or not.” So I guess you could say this little mouse taught me it’s not your size that matters, but the magnitude and depth of your faith.

This is thing we need to understand. In order for us to grow spiritually and emotionally and become the men and women we’re truly destined to be, we must partake in the struggles and the battles of this life. If we do not answer the call to step through the wardrobe or swim up to the surface then we can’t ever experience the beauty of Aslan’s Land. Athena Laz puts it this way. “You cannot rise without recognizing what you are rising from.” Think about it, if we never venture out on to the shores of the unknown how can we ever know the truth of our destiny? Or how would we see the unseen if not for courage? I’m still gripped today by the line I see drawn to the parallel of life’s real adventures in both the fifth book and third film. Not one of my beloved characters were absolved from the evil working to consume them. Both of the Pevensie children, Prince Caspian and the crew were under attack. They were told  from the beginning they'd be tested. And they were, just as we are in our own lives. Our voyagers were tried time and time again; and yes, they did give into temptation beyond the eastern edge. And yet even after giving into impulse and inclination, each one ultimately found forgiveness, comfort and healing  before reaching Aslan’s country. His true kingdom full of grace opened its gates wide open. But isn't that the way God is with us? I am but a sinner saved by God’s grace. If I’m not screwing up in one place, you can bet it’s in another. I get caught up in the motions, in words with no meaning and tangled up in the life I’m living. Still none of that changes who Jesus is. He is my Savior. He’s relentless in his mercy. He is my help. He carries my weakness taking all my brokenness. In His grace He transforms my shattered heart into something beautiful again. I may be worn out, but I can still come before my Father with all my bruises and scars. When my feet fail, He’s my hope. He fights my battles. He goes before me. I’m surrounded on every side by His strength. When we’re lost, lonely and sad Jesus walks beside us, guiding us forward. I look at my Father in Heaven much as Lucy and the Pevensie children did at Aslan. His words speak volumes both in and outside of Narnia. I see Aslan in much the same light of Christ. His words mirror those of my own Savor. The name of Jesus is powerful. His voice lingers within my heart; and in the lion figure of Aslan, I find myself reminded of the certainty of my own pursuit of Christ’s truth. Aslan himself  explains, “But I will not tell you how long the way will be; only that it lies across a river. But do not fear that, for I am the great Bridge Builder.” (Aslan, The Voyage of the Dawn Treader.) And I have never understood this more than the years following 2006. I can tell you living with and through cancer I’ve learned a great many things but none as meaningful as realizing many of the storms we face aren’t meant to disrupt our life but to clear our path. Little did I realize as a little girl listening to my mama read out loud to me every night the stories of C.S .Lewis would one day empower me as a breast cancer survivor. The CS. Lewis quote, “Courage, dear heart” comes to mind.

Looking back on the film we see the struggle beginning right away. He comes in the form of a 10 year old boy. As Lucy and Edward are brought aboard the Dawn Treader so is their problem. His name is Eustace and he's their know it all annoyin younger cousin. Now believe you me when I say Eustace didn't come along on this adventure willingly! He's a mess right from the start. Poor dear doesn't even seem capable of taking care of himself much less being of any use when it comes to any of the treacherous obstacles heading their way. But the truth is all he really needed was a bit of real struggle and a little encouragement. Unfortunate kid. Even though Eustace seemed an unwilling member of the voyage, he was still drug along on each and every adventure they set out on. He fights every bit of it, and struggles as most of us would too, given the circumstances. He spends a great deal of his energy fighting the inevitable. As for finding his place in this whole caper? He has no idea where he belongs. He tries escaping the ship. And like everyone else he fights his way through the evil hell-bent on terrorizing each and everyone aboard the ship. Seriously, life is surely doing him wrong. And  believe me, he is all about letting you know it. But the thing about poor Eustace as C.S, Lewis explains is this. "Most of us know what we should expect to find in a dragon’s lair. But as I said before, Eustace had read all the wrong books. They had a lot to say about exports and imports and governments and drains, but they were weak in dragons.”

Now this is the thing, Eustace, like the rest of us, can’t escape his destiny. When temptation strikes, it’s uniquivibly undeniable. Once he gives into the beast within himself, it’s an unmistakable transformation. And yet, despite everything he has done, Reeepicheep finds love and compassion in his heart for poor Eustace. When all the chips are down this little mouse does the unthinkable...he offers his friendship. Then he goes farther. He takes a step out in faith and blindly believes in Eustace despite the dragon he's now become. Believe you me. When the time comes and Eustace has to face his worst fears he’s scared. But his new friend encourages him with these very words., "Extraordinary things happen to extraordinary people." And they do, don't they?  See this is where our Life Lesson #214 ~ Courage, Dear Heart really begins my friends. Remember God is for us, not against us. Our battles are not with flesh and blood. They are with the darkness surrounding us. The only way we defeat Satan is to overcome the sin within ourselves. And that is exactly what Eustace did. In the end Eustace became a great hero. He faced his fears and was the only one to save the Voyage. In the battle Eustace is wounded in the process. He struggles with all his might to heal himself, but he’s simply unable. We are a lot like this ourselves, right? The whole, "No need to worry, I’ve got it under control." Even if we don’t. But like Jesus Aslan waits for Eustace to reach out for help..He understands it must be Eustace's choice. God is this way with us. Just like Eustace, we have to come to Him willingly. And when Eustace does finally accept Aslan’s healing powers he’s set free, fully capable of fulfilling his own destiny. The evil our friends met was indeed all consuming. The island so determined to pull them down into the depths of their deepest, darkest fears delivers complete chaos. One of the best lines explains this evil as the “source of our troubles seeking to corrupt all goodness and to steal the light from this world”. I see my cancer in much the same light. The Beast came for my life. Like the evil within the island, she sought to steal my hope and faith, to consume my life as her own just the same way the White Witch did with Edward in the second book. I guess I like to see life in the same way Reepicheep does. Think of how he reminds Eustace, “Now is the time to be strong.” In closing today I say to you my friends: be strong in your hope and faith!  Remember we may be battle worn, tired, scared and even weak but still God’s Word never fails. Joshua 1:9 boldly reminds us. “Remember that I have commanded you to be determined and confident! Do not be afraid or discouraged, for I, the Lord your God, am with you wherever you go.” Think of Prince Caspian when you are afraid. Or when you are ready to give in and up think of his words. “Now is the time to be strong, never give in” So I say to you today be true to the hope inside you. Hold tight to your faith. The struggles of life are many. They can appear much like a consuming fire but hold to your faith and never let it go. Christ goes before us, does He not? He stands with us and in Him we have the victory.

We all eventually come to a sacred place, just as our fellow travelers did. And this is where, like us, they stand before Aslan’s country. Now Lucy asks Reepicheep’s an interesting question. Even after all they've seen she asks him if he really believes there is such a place. Here we see his faith in action. His response is powerful. “We have nothing if not for belief! " Now I can only speak for myself, but my faith is my greatest source of strength. I know the day will come when I’ll stand upon those same shores waiting for Jesus myself. And just as we must accept Jesus Christ’s purpose for our lives our voyagers had to accept Aslan’s plans too. Watching Reepicheep lay down his sword once He sees Aslan still tugs at my heart. He’s the first to say goodbye to the struggles of Narnia accepting passage into the land of his Lord. Next Prince Caspian steps before his own King understanding his place still lies within the boundaries of Narnia continuing onward in Aslan’s service. And then finally Lucy, Edward and Eustace come forward. Aslan offers them passage back home, away from the battles and struggles of Narnia. Here Aslan reminds his brave soldiers they returned for a reason and while He had called out to them first this was not yet their time to cross into His country. For now He needed them to return home. And once there, He assures them they will know Him, just by another name. And one day He will come for them and bring them into His country, His land and yes, into Heaven. this was just not that day. Think of it all like this. In the same way we find ourselves weary and tired, so did the Pevensie children. But they have still work to do. Of course Lucy and Edward are saddened. Who wouldn’t be realizing return passage to Narnia wasn't possible. Just as Peter and Susan before them Lucy and Edward’s time has come to an end. It’s here, feeling the uncertainty of his heart Aslan turns to Eustace reminding him He may yet have need of him. I believe this is true in all our lives at some time or other. Now cancer was mine. She may have tried to take everything from me but as Carrie Underwood belts out, “faith and love will keep us strong” and “Broken hands are whole again.” And this is our hope, is it not?

Personally, I see Narnia as a symbolic place. A place of hope and faith where life ultimately takes us into Aslan’s country. I look back as a child listening to my mama read to me. The Chronicles of Narnia were a gift. Because of C.S. Lewis I never failed to drift off to sleep with both an undying and unyielding hope inside my heart. Today in spite of cancer’s long reaching arms I know I am safe. One day I will walk the shores of Aslan’s country, just not today. No matter the storms I face or sail through I’ll take this voyage to the ends of the world knowing an extraordinary destiny greater than I could’ve ever imagined awaits me on the other side of the wardrobe. Never forget, “Things never happen the same way twice. “ (C’.S. Lewis, Narnia) Today is just the beginning of our story, yours and mine. So my friends,  keep checking those closets for Narnia and fighting the good fight. And never forget Jesus will always see us through to the other side.

“We must go on and take the adventure that comes to us. “ ~ C.S. Lewis, The Last Battle.

~ Merida Grace

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Life Lesson #157 ~ Daughters of the King

Life Lesson #200 ~ Jealousy

Life Lesson #480 ~ Small But Mighty