Life Lesson #159 ~ You Are Enough!





"Do not tame the wolf inside you just because you've met someone who doesn't have the courage to handle you." ~ Bella Estreller

When you look into the mirror what do you see? Are you hard on yourself, pushing yourself to be better, to do more, to be enough? Do you think you should be skinnier, fuller, do you want straight hair, curly hair, a smaller nose, bigger eyes or maybe you simply wish you were taller or even shorter? Being honest, that's probably most of us. We all feel we're lacking, invisible or too visible at some point in our lives. Some of us choose to fight our battles privately, while others do so publicly. Many of us feel we can hide our insecurities, while others wear them on their sleeves. My question today is , do you know you're enough? I'm not talking about being conceited, of thinking you're the cat's meow, talking bad about others when they have no way of defending themselves or making someone else look bad in order to feel good about yourself. No, that's another form of insecurity. Believe me it's loud, obnoxious and it's a powerful tool too. This kind of instability and insecurity is brought to life by a particular kind of person and believe me the enemy uses them in our lives to beat us down, and keep us off track. I'm telling you from personal experience , I know how off track I can get when I feel insignificant. So yes, this is exactly what I want to talk about today. Joshua 1:9 tells us, "Be strong and have strength of heart! Do not be afraid or lose faith. For the Lord your God is with you anywhere you go.” So if I believe His word is true and I do then He is with us and in us right? So then how can we be worthless? How can you not have value or not be pretty enough, smart enough or brave enough? Your talents, creativity and interests are unique to you. Each gift, each talent is God given, and within those abilities is potential. Who cares if your enthusiasm is not something someone else finds fascinating or intriguing. Their opinion of you has no influence on your worth. The only power anyone has over you is the very same power you freely give them. I can tell you from my own past, especially over the last 3 years, no one can take away your value or worth but you. No one can dictate or take your merit and importance without your consent. If I have learned anything it's as women and men, believers in Christ or not, we have to "be bold enough to use our voice, brave enough to listen to our hearts, and strong enough to live the life we've always imagined."

Repeat after me," I am extraordinary,  I am strong. I am confident, valuable, talented, blessed, fearless, determined, beautiful, loved, and I am victorious!" The reality is you are all those things and more. There is nothing about you that is unworthy of love and acceptance. The problem we tend to run into, especially as women, is that we compare ourselves too much. We give other women power over us, instead of looking to our Creator to define us, to be our champion and to inspire and fortify our purpose. Those of us that don't see ourselves as enough VS those who see themselves as more than what they really are, are always at odds. That's why it's so important to be selective with who you allow into your inner circle.  Not everyone is good for you, and because of that it's OK to graciously decline any and all invitations you receive leading to drama and self-doubt. This is what's so important to understand, your self worth and confidence are not up for grabs. Anyone attempting to bring you down has no argument in your place, or your standing and definitely no dog in your race. Remember those who seek to shape you into who they want you to be aren't looking to better you, but to lessen you, to feel they control and manipulate you for their benefit. Don't ever forget "those that try to destroy your happiness do so out of jealously." Pay close attention, they know and realize you are enough, they see your potential but in order to to raise themselves up, they have to deconstruct what's good inside of you. My mama has often reminded me through the years, and the last three years are no exception: "People who repeatedly attack your confidence and self-esteem are quite aware of your potential. even if you are not." And don't you dare forget they do all this at your expense by the way. Ignore them, listen to your heart and lift your head. In your Father's eyes you are precious, priceless and absolutely enough.

Listen to me sweet girl, "The face you see in the mirror? SHE'S PRECIOUS to the King of Kings, so don't you dare underestimate the plans that He has for her, because they are great." Getting to the place where you can accept you are enough, isn't easy. It's an uphill battle mostly. It isn't so much finding our security in who we are but holding on to it. When you doubt you are enough, you begin to lose sight of who you are. I love how Britteny Moses explains this. "Your calling is meant for you, not everyone else. Everybody may not get it, and that's okay. It's not for them. They weren't designed for this. You were. God didn't place it in their heart, Ge placed it in yours. If we left the plans and purpose of our life in the hands of people, our entire life would be conformed to what people want to see instead of who God made us to be, and that's just no way to live." So how do you want to live? Defeated, downtrodden, manipulated by those who talk behind your back, attempting to discredit your character? Or do you want to walk victorious, secure in who you have been created to be?

So what are we to do then? How do we respond to those who attack us, throwing stones and trying to start fires? Well personally I have begun to simply walk away. You are enough, and I am enough. I think of my worth and the changes that have taken place in my life hurdling me forward in this way. "One morning she woke up different. Done with trying to figure out who was with her, against her, or walking down the middle  because they didn't have the guts to pick a side. She was done with anything that didn't bring her peace. She realized that opinions were a dime a dozen, validation was for parking, and loyalty wasn't a word but a lifestyle. It was this day that her life changed. And not because of a man, or a job, but because she realized that life is way too short to leave the key to her happiness in someone else's pocket." Now as for my own self worth, I have found myself fully in Christ. Since my journey began over 3 years ago I have turned over my fears, and though it's still a day to day uphill battle, I know when push comes to shove I am His creation and my worth is not up for grabs to anyone. And especially not to the lowest bidder that's for sure. Truly I can only speak for myself, but I want to encourage all  of you who feel less than enough to stand up tall, take heart, and embrace His courage within you.  To those who disregard my value and overlook my worth I repeat Lupytha Hermin's words , "You only know a part of me, I am a universe full of secrets." Need more, well Jessica Katoff can help me out here too, "I am made up of depths the ocean couldn't fathom."

Today as I publish my last post for the month of May, Life Lesson #159 ~ You Are Enough,  I encourage you to be yourself. There is no one else like you. Remember this, as so perfectly said by Clarissa Pinkola Estes, "If you are not free to be who you are, you are not free." So be as imperfectly perfect as you were created, yes be that. Darling girl simply be free to be yourself... be creative, independent, persistent and curious living the amazingly full life that God has given you because you my beautiful girl are enough!

"She remembered who she was and the game changed." ~ Unknown

~Christina

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Life Lesson #157 ~ Daughters of the King

Life Lesson #200 ~ Jealousy

Life Lesson #480 ~ Small But Mighty