Life Lesson # 56 ~Fierce Friendships



When you stop, thinking about the ladies you call your sisters, your best friends, those who share in your uncanny, quirky and zany ways who comes to mind?  I don’t mean a number, a title or some cute hashtag, I'm talking the kind of girlfriends you can completely rely on, those you trust, who hold your complete confidence, I'm speaking of  your closest allies, the friends who tell you the truth no matter what.

I'm thankful, I have these kinds of friends, the sort of kindred spirit's who know your soul deeply, both the dark and illuminated spaces of your heart. These are the kind of kinship's you just don’t know how you’d live without. Some move in and out of my life at different times, yet remain tied to my heart. By God;s grace time never seems to diminish our bond. While all are kindred,some are closer than a sister.These are the friends so close they feel my sadness without  me ever having to say a word. Mindy Kaling sums it best as far as I’m concerned, "One friend with whom you have a lot in common is better than three with whom you struggle to find things to talk about. We never needed best friend gear because I guess with real friends you don’t have to make it official. It just is."  See our friendships aren’t defined by quantity; instead they are determined by quality and intent. The reality is this, some may be closer to me at times than others but none are insignificant. These women are an incredible driving force in my life. 

Personally I love the kind of friends, the women I can be crazy with. You know, those un-biological sisters, the women who join in our weirdness without a question? The kind of kindred spirits you can be yourself with, completely. These are the women you call your people, they’re our better half and no, I’m not talking about our spouses.  I’m talking about those fierce, intense, powerful, strong and un-explainable lady friendships. We all need them, and no these friendships don't replace other relationships in our lives, they simply compliment who we are,motivating and influencing us to grow into deeper, more  transparent , better versions of ourselves. There’s a quote on Pintrest I love, explaining exactly how I feel when it comes to my own fierce friendships. It goes like this, “You are my people. This is where life is LIVED. These are the moments, the people that make life worth living. These are the people who make life beautiful. These are my people. This is my tribe.” (The Art of a Beautiful Life)  These are the women who show up in our lives and stay.

 Life Lesson #57~ Fierce friendships are the bonds that tie us together.

I like to call these women my tribe, the backbone of my wild child ways. And you know what? I’m really grateful for these kinds of friendships I share. Because of my sisters, I had a great summer. One of the best I’ve had in many years actually. We spent afternoons painting, grabbing lunch, planning new adventures, hanging out by the pool and opening up about life. Honestly just being able to be quiet without forced conversation or judgment is one of the best qualities of a genuine friendship.  I appreciated and welcomed the days spent together, even the quiet days. Sometimes, it’s just about knowing in spite of how you feel; your girlfriends are there, no expectations, no demands, just there beside you. Having a friend, a best friend, a sister of the heart is more than a title. Oprah Winfrey says it best, “Lots of people want to ride with you in the limo—what you want is someone who will take the bus with you when the limo breaks down.”

Ecclesiastes 4:9-12 says, “Two are better off than one, because together they can work more effectively. If one of them falls down, the other can help him up.”  We all need friendships just like this. You know, the 2 am in the morning phone calls, holding your hair back, wiping your tears, laughing till your nose runs, and planning midnight runs of ice-cream and chocolate kind of friendships. These women, they are all that and more. More importantly, they are my family; they know me better than I know myself sometimes. These are the kind of friendships that know no bounds. I know for me personally, without my girlfriends I wouldn’t be whole. Because of their genuine love, determination to see the good and be honest with me even when I don’t want to hear it, I’m a better person. I know unequivocally, I’m loved in all my imperfect ways and without judgment. These women call me friend, sister even in all my unlovable and un-saintly ways. I am humbled, and fortunate to call each one of these ladies my friends.

Thank you my sweet beautiful friends. Thank you for loving me just as I am, for not trying to change me and always encouraging me to be the best me possible. I know I am blessed to know you. And I know, no matter where life takes us, “you’ll always be my Nemo. If you get lost in the great, big ocean, I’ll find you.”


~Christina



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Life Lesson #157 ~ Daughters of the King

Life Lesson #200 ~ Jealousy

Life Lesson #480 ~ Small But Mighty