LIFE LESSON #42 ~ Keep It Simple!





I’ve been busy this last year. Life has kept me on my toes, that’s for sure.  I went back to work, full time, and found my independence streak was stronger than ever. I hit the ground running. And no I haven’t stopped since. After milling around for a bit I realized I wasn’t a scared little girl, but a grown woman, strong and bold.  With a soft push I stepped off the cliff, wings ready to fly.  I reminded myself who I was embracing the strong woman that I am. With a little more encouragement and confidence I dusted off my degree, wiped off my dirty knees, straightened my skirt and rose up a completely new woman.

The adventures I’ve been on, the stories my soul has gathered and the photographs my heart has taken have been amazing. Life, as it should be has been filled with crazy ups and downs from the lunchroom through the moment I stepped back into the classroom as an educator again. Now, I’m ready for summer, to replenish, to relax and enjoy my time off.

Right now, I’m simply content to pick up my comic books, read as many books off my never ending reading list as I can, catch up on Dr. Who, the Flash and watch one of many Star Wars and Marvel movie marathons with my kiddos. Grabbing a pole, spending all night fishing with my hubby and boys on the pier has never sounded better.  A weekend at the house in the Big Thicket, surrounded by family, burgers, a game of Phase 10 and a cold beer just seems to make everything right in the world. That’s where my summer is headed, what's your plans, any exciting adventures out there waiting for you? Whatever big or small plans this summer holds, the one thing I truly hope it provides is time to recharge, regroup emotionally, mentally and physically.

We spend so much time trying to keep up, we tend to exhaust ourselves.  We’re so concerned with who went where, and where we should go instead. Who has this or that; we don’t appreciate what we’ve been given. We’re so worried about giving ourselves the perfect vacation, relaxing family time we forget to relax and enjoy our family.  Maybe it’s time to slow down, prioritize not just our time, but the ones we share our time with? Stop looking to do bigger, better things and just simply breath, take in the moment.  Who cares what Mr and Mrs Jones are doing or how green their grass is! Honestly how many times do we miss the beauty, the magic of the moment because we’re so busy caught up trying to do BIGGER & BETTER, determined to post life’s every little moment for everyone else but ourselves? I so often wonder why is it we allow ourselves to fall for social media’s trap, the push and prod, insisting we have to prove our happiness instead of just being happy. I’ve learned the hard way; happiness isn’t something you have to prove. Why, because it’s self-evident.  I’ve learned so much about family, friends and my own habits this last year.  From the front porch looking out, just sitting here with a sweet tea in my hand , thunder storms rolling in , I can say without hesitation I’m content playing back the little bits of reminiscence my heart has recorded for me and me alone.

Now, I don’t want to seem as if I’m a social media downer, I’m not by any means. It’s all about balance and that’s where I’m coming from.  I absolutely enjoy social media and all it has to offer, but I’ve learned its place in my life.  I love seeing all the pictures and tidbits shared across my social media sites, I’ve just learned not to allow it to take control, to have the front seat and the driver’s seat to boot! Honestly I found out the hard way our whole lives don’t have to be lived out completely on the information highway. Who needs or wants the whole world to see everything? Why offer a front row seat for the Jones family to take notes, judge or even a chance to appreciate every intimate moment commissioned throughout our days?  We all have public victories, moments when the crowd cheers, rejoices with us but we also have private moments, hours in our lives we don’t need an audience for, when only a select few need be part of our celebration or defeat . We all willingly open a window, giving a glimpse into our lives; we just need to understand it’s not all of who we are. I guess what I’m trying to say is life isn’t about perfect little wrapped up packages, its messy and when I look at social media as a whole I walk away scratching my head; it’s just as messy if not worse. I see how we misunderstand, hurting others by a simple key stroke.  

Life lesson #42:  Life’s a photograph we take each and every moment. Take it in, soak it up, and make each other laugh, adore his smile, and wipe away her tears. Keep it simple, keep it real. So many of us get wrapped up in the “like”, “comment “or repost” we lose sight of real heartfelt praise and appreciation. This last year, (yes again I have no shame in admitting our marriage endured the fire to become fortified steel)  I’ve come to realize I don’t need my hubby to broadcast his enduring love for me, all I need is a simple text back, “nerd’ after receiving my “love you to the Death Star and back”. That’s what makes my heart ping.  Looking down at our hands, fingers touching, and gigging because our wedding bands say "I love you, I know" is enough.

After taking a long break from social media my personal advice is this, evaluate your priorities, your intentions and the moments you allow to slip past you unintentionally. My challenge to you today is simply take a deep breath, let the warmth of summer kiss your face. Close your eyes, and then open those beautiful eyes of yours wide and see the world for the first time.  I promise you, it’s not such a bad view form where I sit. I’m no longer caught up in what my profile picture looks like; do I have a current selfie, how many likes does my last post have or how many friends or followers has my counter  ticked up today? My value isn’t placed in those stats because I know my worth (thank you Agent Carter).  My life isn’t measured by any of those of standards.  I’ve let go of anything holding me back, pulling me under. Piece by piece this year I’ve let go of everything trying to dictate my own happiness to me.  So believe me when I say I am living for the first time in a long time. In fact I’m soaring and enjoying this beautiful, visual panoramic view.  I wish for you the same, spending your time in the moment, living inside the moment, not from outside looking in, taking your time, living out loud; inspiring the lyrics in which you live by.

~Christina


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Life Lesson #157 ~ Daughters of the King

Life Lesson #200 ~ Jealousy

Life Lesson #480 ~ Small But Mighty