Who Made Cancer King of Anything?


Ever have one of those days when you just want to burst into song? You know the kind of day I am talking about it may start with a few bars in the shower and end with a full on jam session in the car. Before you know it you are beating the steering wheel till the person in the car next to you hits the gas pedal and peels away as fast as they can!




I had one of those days this afternoon. Johnny and I had been teasing each with playful banter waiting to pick the kids up from school. I was sitting in the truck, when one of my favorite songs came on the radio, ‘Who Died and Made You King of Anything’. I was just singing along, like no one could hear me when I noticed Johnny giving me one of ' his she doesn’t see me' side glances, with a big grin on his face. You know the one, the kind you just want to burst into laughter over? Maybe reach over and plant a big kiss on the one you love lips!




These kinds of days, the ones where you carry a song in your heart, are some of the best you will ever experience. They are simple little blessings steering you toward Hope and Grace. These days call to you, they sing to you and they inspire you to put that extra skip in your step. Sometimes it’s not about what song is in your heart no sometimes it’s about letting your song out!




Maybe it's a sad song, but you know what, it is still a song. Maybe you feel unloved, abandoned and alone, maybe you feel as if someone has stolen your joy away from you. I know I felt this way when breast cancer has rode into Dodge to take my joy away. She sure wanted to steal my crown of hope from me and replace it with a crown of sorrow. But you know what I kept a song close to my heart and she will cowered in fear. Think about it like this: remember those people in the car beside you earlier, the ones who thought you lost your mind and hit the gas pedal? Well despair responds the same way to joy, she will ultimately high tale it out of there with her cold, black heart. Keeping a sing in your heart, keeps joy alive, keeps the beast’s companions, despair and sorrow, at bay.




Let me fill you in on a little secret friends, I realize I don’t always know where I am going, but I am in no way lost! The real honest to goodness truth is you don’t need to make everyone happy, just like the song says, you can disagree. You don’t have to jump on board because someone says you do, and you can most definitely hold your own. Besides who made cancer the king of anything? I sure didn’t!



This is the problem we find ourselves in, bogged down, wanting to please everyone, and not pleasing anyone. We simple end up at the bottom of the well, looking up at the beast, with our crown on her head wondering how we ended up where we are. This is why I choose to keep a song in my heart, no matter where I go or who I am with. When times get tough, when some cast a shadow of doubt over my intentions, when they begin canvassing my hope or come to steal my joy, I simply reach for a song. And you know what; my singing usually drowns out all the rest.




~Christina

Comments

  1. Love your attitude! Cancer doesn't stand a chance against your wit & sass! Thanks for reminding those of us newer to the fight that the beast isn't going to steal our joy. Wear that crown proudly, girl.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please leave your comments and share your thoughts.

Popular posts from this blog

Life Lesson #157 ~ Daughters of the King

Life Lesson #200 ~ Jealousy

Life Lesson #480 ~ Small But Mighty