Charting A Course


I have often wondered where life would have taken me if not for the” what if’s”. You know what I am talking about… the “what if” syndrome. What if I had just taken a right turn instead of a left? What if I had waited a little longer to go to college and seen the world first? What if I had taken the first job offer instead of the second one? What if I had chosen to forgive instead of hate? What if I had not been diagnosed with breast cancer?



Well if I spent my time plotting out all the “what ifs” I could have taken my life’s path would have been different, maybe too different. The question is this, would I have wanted my life to be all that different from the course I am on now? If I could change the road I am on now then I would not know the inner peace I hold to either. Does that mean life is easy? Does it mean I greet each day eager to face what is outside my door? Honestly no, there are many days I cringe just knowing the beast is hiding right outside my door. But does that mean I should hide from life and all she holds for me?



Life is full of these kinds of “what ifs”. If we wanted we could spend all of our time thinking and rethinking the curves life throws our way but to what end? I guess if I wanted I could be bitter, angry at the world and at God for the trials my life has been allowed to endure. But how would allowing that kind of pain to overcome my spirit benefit anyone? This is the thing: life is about riding the waves. Sometimes we roll with them, sometimes we go over the top and at other times we fall beneath them.



I think about it this way: Our lives are like ships, each beautiful, strong vessels of the sea. We are made for the ocean waters able to withstand the storms of life. We have anchors to secure our lives and boughs in which to steer us into port. Yet the truth is this: just because we are strong, does not mean we cannot sink, take on water, and become ship wrecked. If we are to remain capable of sailing the oceans of the living we need to maintain our integrity, character and strength. If we are to make it through life’s hurricanes we need to chart a course, hold fast, look to the stars, steer our ships through the heavy rain and stay true to our heading.



If Breast Cancer has taught me anything along the way she has taught me endurance and given me strength. Come what may I do not regret this course I am on. I cannot begin to imagine what tomorrow may bring because If I have learned anything along the way is even a beautiful day can end with black clouds over head. Can I say how God knew who I would become someday? No, but He did know at the world’s end His grace would be sufficient. This joy of mine shines out from beneath the dark clouds calling me closer to His mercy and grace every day. In His eyes I am still beautiful even if I came to port with sails in need of mending.



So I ask what about life’s “what ifs” ? Do we toss all we know, all we are overboard just to gamble on a “what if” ? I say no, not in a million years. Maybe, just maybe it’s time to soar, to fly and reach for the stars above us, embrace the life we have been given and those who love us just as we are. I say it’s time to let our faith fill our sails with strength, break free from these rocks of disbelief and wrap ourselves in a flag of hope. Go on…let go of the fear binding us to the uncontrollable oceans below us.



What do you say? Are you ready to wake up friend and watch the sunlight dance across the morning with new found hope? Let your heart beat your spirit go, chart a course and follow it all the way across the sea. Come on, come with me and get caught up in the here and now, not in the “what ifs” and dance clear across this beautiful ocean of life!



Christina

Comments

  1. Great post Christina!

    I love reading your blog- it always inspires me. You are such a great writer.

    Today I'm going to try harder to live in the here and now!

    Hugs,

    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed reading your entry today.
    I have always lived in the present. It's the only way for me.
    For me there is no tomorrow it can only be imagined today.
    You gave me food for thought today Christina. I hope you and your family are well and happy.
    Hugs
    Jeanie xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your inspirational reads touched my heart and hit home. It's not about "What could of been", it's about what is here right in front of us and how we choose to face it.

    Take care of you my friend and may your days be filled with a reason to smile,
    Katie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love it! You are an inspirational writer and I love you!!

    Stacy

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please leave your comments and share your thoughts.

Popular posts from this blog

Life Lesson #157 ~ Daughters of the King

Life Lesson #200 ~ Jealousy

Life Lesson #480 ~ Small But Mighty