Yes Cancer Sucks!

This is a bit of a re -post but it sums up how I feel right now as I am looking ahead at having 2 surgeries in the coming months to correct what the last surgery did to my body...

Is it a bit indulgent to say breast cancer, is honestly the best teacher this woman has ever had?

When all this first began, it was like being sucked up into a vacuum. It was just pure chaos. Crazy does not even begin to cover it. There was no way to see the forest for the trees frankly. The words, "breast cancer," seemed surreal. It was just an elaborate hoax being played on me because there was no way I had cancer. But the truth was, I did.


Suddenly all my fears were front and center demanding all my attention. Up until that moment, I had just been coasting through life. Yes, I needed to take better care of myself. Yes, I really should have dug myself out of the mommy hood trap, but I was content with life just the way it was. I had no real concerns about the future or how I looked to others. I was good to go in a T-shirt, jeans and a pony tail. I didn't take time to have my nails done, or have my hair cut. Lingerie was a thing of the past and just a fantasy of my husbands wild imagination. I always figured that I would have time for all of those things eventually. I always told myself, later, next week, maybe next month. But later never came. We had somehow bypassed tomorrow and landed in a time warp.


Now, oddly enough I take time for the littlest of things. The simple things mean more to me than anything else. Sitting at the table helping my boys do their homework, actually cooking a meal or simply being able to sit through a baseball game without feeling the need to hurl is a triumph worth celebrating. I would say before my cancer, I had yet to fully understand my purpose in this life. I had gone to college, married and become a mother. I felt I was a good mother, not too bad of a wife and a decent friend. I was just traveling down the road of life with no cares. I had purpose and a reason to live but little did I know just how lacking I was in all those areas. Insecurity reigned in my world and I had no real idea it had such a tight hold on me. Then the cancer came and suddenly I was thrust into a whole new world of existence.


In my journey I have found insecurity swings two ways. Either it can cause you to hide yourself in a muddle keeping to the shadows afraid to come out of your shell or it can cause you to throw yourself into the business of always being on top and having to be in control of everything, all the time. The problem is that you can't hide from your own shadow any more than you can keep your nose in every book, all day long. Before cancer, I wanted to please everyone, all the time. So what cancer has taught me is I can't be all things to everyone all the time. But, in giving up those insecurities I can be a good mom, a loving wife and I can keep my friends closer to my heart than ever before. I can be grateful for each and every blessing in my life and I can fight like a girl without feeling puny. I can wear pink and be proud and I can be bald and still feel beautiful.


Again I say I did not fully understand my purpose in life before the "C" word walked into my life and punched me in the gut. Now I can say all this time later and almost 36 years after my birth, I understand my purpose. This breast cancer has changed me. It has pruned and grown me in ways I could never have imagined and it has opened my eyes to my own potential. I am ready to listen and to let my voice be heard. Some may not like what I have to say, but then no one likes hearing that cancer sucks but the truth is it does. So there, I have said it. Cancer sucks, but it also solidifies and carries your soul to a new, beautiful and peaceful state of being if you just let her teach you along the journey!


Cancer is not pretty nor is it easy.Cancer is not just something that you "get over." Long after your diagnosis, once you are done with the initial process, "it" stays with you. Not in a "feel sorry for me" kind of way, but in an empowering kind of way. Suddenly you have looked death straight in the eyes and lived to tell about it. You know what real freedom is and understand it's price. No, you haven't exactly bounced back completely, maybe you never will. But you have defined yourself and your place in this life. Yes, your body has aged by years in the time since your chemotherapy started, but you don't have to give into it. Yes, you still have to work twice as hard to keep up, but the point is you do keep up. You have learned to live in spite of life. As soon as your nails stop falling off, you get that manicure you always put off. As soon as you have hair, you start to "fix it" and yes you start pulling a "look" together. That's what cancer does for you. It strengthen you, encourages your true self to shine through. Your needs are very different now, but you have learned different is not necessarily a bad thing.


Bottom line? Cancer is a teacher if you will let her be. Cancer gives you sacred space you did not allow yourself before. Cancer gives you today, and not just the constant idling promise of "Tomorrow" but TODAY. Cancer is a wake up call to begin living life and in the end becomes a faithful friend always reminding you of just how blessed you really are to be alive!


Christina

Comments

  1. Christina,
    You are an amazing woman! I see so much strength in your words! I pray that you continue to live life in it's fullest in "TODAY!" I also pray for all your tomorrows!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good post ... so true.

    All the best to you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have heard others say that life was never the same after the diagnosis. That the need to live and really experience life became more necessary. I'm glad that you have the great attitude that you do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. cancer sucks, you know i used to read susan metters blog and she is a cancer survivor like you and she said people used to tell her oh , you have breast cancer, that's the easy one! can you believe some people. i have to go for a mammogram on the first. my mother died of lung cancer her sister of breast cancer, well actually she was in remission of breast cancer and them got a rare form of leukemia but i still say it was the breast cancer. so i am a little anxious about going. i check myself monthly but have rather large boobs, so i always feel something. i am praying this surgery will go better, i hope you feel better, stronger i should say soon, i know you are ok in your spirit it is your body i hope heals. take care of you

    ReplyDelete
  5. {{{{Christina}}}} In an interesting bit of cosmic something-or-other, just before reading your post I read a post and some comments on another favorite journal about the nature of pain and how we respond to it. (http://cathy-daretothink.blogspot.com/2009/06/other-than-that-mrs-lincoln.html) I'd love to know your thoughts on it, given the experiences you are managing so admirably.

    You are one hell of a woman.

    Ben
    http://cathy-daretothink.blogspot.com/2009/06/other-than-that-mrs-lincoln.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. Special invitation to all breast cancer bloggers. This month the Being Cancer Book Club is reading “The Adventures of Cancer Bitch” by S. L. Wisenberg, “witty and relentless, surprising and honest. Wisenberg has walked through the Valley of Cancer and she is willing to tell all; this is a cornucopia of breast cancer information as well as a very smart, funny read from an excellent writer."—Audrey Niffenegger, author, The Time Traveler’s Wife.
    Book discussions are in Mondays’ posts. Take care, Dennis

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please leave your comments and share your thoughts.

Popular posts from this blog

Life Lesson #157 ~ Daughters of the King

Life Lesson #200 ~ Jealousy

Life Lesson #480 ~ Small But Mighty