Cancer Scars

The Scars of Cancer...

We all have scars physical and emotional. Most of us we tend to hide them away from the sight of others and usually we do a good job of it too . It doesn't matter how big or small they may be, we simply don't want the world to see our imperfections. We don't want to appear to be weak, emotional or unable to carry the world on our shoulders. So we cover our scars up fearful of what the world may think of us. This is the fight I have fought and the battlefront I have lived upon for the last 2 years.

I have been forthright when needed and I have allowed my heart to be broken openly. I have done my best to be as open and honest as possible with my friends and family. But I have also hidden my deepest fears away so as not to burden or scare those that cannot handle the thought of what lies beneath the surface. I have kept myself from being overly exposed keeping this part of my heart, my soul and my body closed to all but a select few. As I have traveled this path, and believe me there are many different paths that one can travel, I have formed many dear friendships. I have come to know many women who are still fighting and sadly many who have lost their fight with this cancer. Some have been completely open and others have been more private with their struggles. But the truth is they all have had to live and yes die with the scars.

This point was never as clear to me as it was as I was sitting in my oncologist office waiting for my check up. I was early and they were running late so I was left with a great amount of time on my hands. I looked all around me and I thought about how blessed I was not to be there for chemo, but for a routine remission follow up. Routine! Ha! Blood work, questions, tests a deep breath and then... all clear for now. The worry, the blessing and then the burden of another four, maybe six months till it all starts again. I found myself thinking too much on all this after I was walked back to the room to again wait. I was sitting up on the table with my new paper shirt, open to the front so she could examine my breasts. With my scars exposed I sat there and until my eyes caught sight of a book, a pictorial of breast cancer survivors. Tears began filling my eyes as I saw pictures of these brave bold women who had the courage to expose the truth of breast cancer and the scars she leaves behind. These were beautiful, loved and women comfortable with their scars. They were old, young, wives, mothers and grandmothers. They were survivors, they were heroes and they wore their scars with pride!

The truth is that the scars left behind from breast cancer are life altering, dark, and bigger than life. They are scars that go everywhere with you. They are with you when you wake up in the morning, when you shower, face the mirror, put a swimsuit on and when you go to bed every night. There are times that you want to just give up and give in. There are nights that you just want to give into the darkness, and turn your back on the sunrise. Yes, I have been there. I have felt abandoned and fearful. I have struggled with pulling myself up and out of bed. I have wanted to just forget the fight, sink deep inside my own prison and stay there indefinitely. I have dressed myself looking into the mirror at my Frankenstein breasts and truly wanted to run out of the house screaming down the road. But the truth is that those moments have strengthened me. These scars are not pretty and yes they do go deep scaring your soul as well. But that does not mean that you are a walking angry zombie. No it means that you live with cancers sting, you accept her ability to challenge your mortality but you do not allow her to crush your spirit ever!

I can say with all honesty that these scars are terrible as they are a constant reminder of your greatest moment of devastation. Yet they are also reminders of your ability to endure the beast. I have watched my body go from young, womanly and free of disease to leave me a bruised, butchered and stitched together woman that it is now. Still, I am not ashamed of my body, my fight or my scars. Looking back I would say that my scars have freed me to live, to be me and not to be afraid of being comfortable in my own skin! These scars of mine are visual reminders of my dance with the beast. I can say now that I am not ashamed of cancers furry or her claw marks across my breasts. No I am humbled to stand among all her survivors and wear her scars as a badge of honor!

Christina


Comments

  1. All that you have endured...and all you still have...you my friend are more beautiful than ever.....I am so in awe of your strength and your ability to keep moving forward. Remember it is always not what's on the outside as it is what YOU have on the inside.....Your beauty shines through inside and out, despite your physical scars......
    you truly are an inspiration to me and to others....
    thank you for sharing
    my thoughts and more so my prayers are with you.....
    Kelly~

    ReplyDelete
  2. So proud of you for going forward and reaching for each new day.  It's what anyone who has had or has health troubles have to do.  Your words say it all dear for those who have breast cancer, those who fought a hard battle and those who succeeded. Bless you....Arlene (AJ)  

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's funny, I've never really noticed the Cancer, the scars, the fight.....not so much as the woman and the beauty she possessed through it all! Your spirit has always been and will always be bigger than all the rest my dear friend. (Hugs) Indigo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tomorrow will be the 2nd Anniversary of my sisters death to breast cancer. Because of her I do understand the scars and emotions you speak of. She, like you and so many others have such a zest and will to live life to its fullest. If one thing can be said for cancer it does bring so many together, you cross paths with beautiful souls whom you otherwise never would have met. You love, you grow, and at times you grieve. You have nothing to be ashamed of, you are a survivor.
    Love & Hugs
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please leave your comments and share your thoughts.

Popular posts from this blog

Life Lesson #157 ~ Daughters of the King

Life Lesson #200 ~ Jealousy

Life Lesson #480 ~ Small But Mighty